The Foundation Year offered by Jacobs University is designed for university applicants whose school leaving certificate or academic achievements are insufficient for acceptance by a German university. According to individual learning needs, participants will be prepared for starting their BA studies at Jacobs University within one year: If they successfully conclude their Foundation Year, they will be granted a place for their bachelor program.
Depending on the choice of subject, the participation in selected courses belonging to different bachelor programs is part of the Foundation Year: Up to 45 ECTS points earned in these courses will count for the subsequent bachelor program.
Participants of the Foundation Year Program will be accommodated on campus and thus integrated into the daily university life from their first day onwards.
Structure & Contents
- Orientation: Students can participate in courses belonging to the fields of Engineering and Computer Sciences, Natural Sciences, Humanities and Social Sciences as well as Economics and Management in order to find out which study focus is most suitable for them.
- Preparation: Courses designed to prepare students for academic work are on offer; English and German classes will be added.
- Qualification: The standardized university entry exam SAT is an integral part of the program. Participants will be prepared for this exam in detail. If required, students can also take an internationally renowned English exam.
All classes will be held in English.
In the course of an individual consultation appointment, each participant will plan his or her personal Foundation Year curriculum.
Services & Fees
The Foundation Year program includes the following services:
- Support with visa application
- Airport pick-up
- Professional academic counselling in order to put together an individual curriculum
- Orientation week
- All courses, lectures, seminars
- SAT-/TOEFL preparation and registration
- Accommodation in modern single rooms on campus
- Full board (3 meals per day)
- Use of sports facilities and media rooms
- Excursions to European metropolises
- 24-hour security service on campus
- Semester ticket for public transportation
The total cost of the Foundation Year Program is € 23,000 per academic year. The fee includes all costs associated with the program, room and board in the residential colleges, excursions to major European cities, and public transportation in Bremen.
For the Foundation Year no scholarships are available.